Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tatoo artist accesses YouTube to 'game' job opportunity


Having been the interviewer for open positions too many times to count, I was always impressed with the candidate who did their research, knew what our company was about, and could offer compelling information that would illustrate whey they were the best candidate for the job.

Erin Michael Vondrak illustrated her desire for a job by really using illustrations.

Her YouTube account and website, www.erinvondrak.com, serve up highlights from her resume:
I was raised in southern California. In 2007, I graduated from the University of Redlands with honors in Photography and a Bachelor’s degree in Design in Various Platforms of Media. I have worked for Apple since 2007. I enjoy drawing, tattooing, doing stupid animations in Flash, and making people laugh. I love animals, computers, meeting new people, and exploring the world around me. I currently reside in Seattle.

The video tells us she is desperate to leave Apple and work for the Bellevue, Washington entertainment software and technology company Valve.

I hadn't heard of Valve before. They sound like they might be worth investing the time Vondrak has shouldered to compose an original song and create hundreds of illustrations to populate a YouTube job plea. According to Valve's website they have an incredible "98% retention rate." I'd like to know what makes it so high, and I'll confess, I'm a little curious about the two percent who don't make it.

If you're interested in a job at Valve, visit their jobs page, which states, "We're always hiring for all positions. Seriously."

Personally, I think Vondrak should be on their marketing team. Her video has been shown 89,401 times. That is an incredible amount of PR in three days
Uploaded by  on Jul 27, 2011.

I learned about this first, on Geek Wire, "an independent technology news site and online community based in Seattle, Wash. — covering the people, companies and innovations emerging from and impacting the Pacific Northwest."

It's nice to know there are other people who love Washington State as much as I do.

What's the craziest thing you did to go after a new job?