Saturday, June 4, 2011

What makes amplifying local voices classic?

Twitter followers will soon see the following message: The Classic Community is out!

For some time I've been keeping a Twitter list, adding to it when I remember, of people who've met me. I recently pulled the list into a feed, added the #VanWA hash tag, and created the The Classic Community.

I see your tweets, I read your blogs, but it still amazes me the subtle items I miss that I wouldn't have seen had I not created this aggregate.

The template to build this collabortative effort is available through Paper.li, a project of SmallRivers. Their website notes, "SmallRivers is a privately held startup incorporated in Switzerland (Lausanne) and located on the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL campus." Paper.li allows us to gather content that is relevant to us and share it with the community that we find important -- Twitter, our blog audience, or those who share like interests by category or topic.

It's a simple concept to thrive on content that other's have created. Advertising is slipped in to monetize the brainchild for the founders, and the visual rendition is engaging. We can now read, "Any Twitter stream as a daily newspaper."

And this 'newspaper' comes without pay walls.

Have you started a Paper.li aggregate? What do you think about gathering other's content and serving it up with a monetizing strategy, not for the content producer, but for the one who creates the tool?

The Swiss company who created Paper.li, SmallRivers,  can be found on Twitter as: @smallrivers.