Sunday, September 25, 2011

Analytics puts the week in dead heats

Sundays, we look back through the 360 Convos lens, approximately four weeks back, to see how the posts did for a two week period.* It's not an exact science, after all, the Sunday post could potentially have more play than the others, so take everything with a grain of the proverbial salt, my favorite mineral.

The week of August 21, was a great week for the blog. It was a dead heat for first place between Tips for blogging everyday and Jeremiah Owyang helps me take down Google.

Everyone survived: me, Jeremiah and Google.

The dead heat continued into second place between my daughter, who's famous for keeping me in line with her quips–which I dutifully write down in a little blue notebook so I can remember what the heck I was laughing about, pulled in one more page view than Great is the enemy of good. The enemy piece was a thought process of finding the balance between productivity and the quality we yearn for in our projects.

I'll take the one page my daughter's piece had that pulled it out in front as a sign I'm barely ahead of average on parenting skills. Like the wise people say, "You don't know how well you did as a parent until you meet your grandchildren."

I can wait.

Here's where it gets interesting, the first two posts pulled into 38% of the pageviews, the next two posts pulled in 30% of the pageviews, the next three the last 32%. An even week, where it was hard to truly determine what dominated.

I continue to search for the balance between good blogging, feeding the audience and balancing my time.

Try that for one day.


DATE
POSTS WEEK OF AUGUST 21
Sunday What I learned from Jeremiah Owyang that allowed me to take down Google*
Monday Tips for blogging everyday
Tuesday Great is the enemy of good and other things I learned from blogging
Wednesday How blogging is like throwing stones
Thursday How blogging for 30 days in a row leads to international acclaim
Friday Fav quotes from my daughter (who's embarrassing who?)
Saturday 'Dale Chumbley' it. What I learned blogging everyday

*Source: Google Analytics.