Saturday, September 10, 2011

Unhook the phone line, but they'll still find your face(book)

It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles the phone company offers me. I have cut my land line.

What propelled me was not inconsistent quality, bad service, shoddy knowledge of the customer service people, or steep price. It was the second week in a row where I realized that the only people calling me were computers. The auto-dialers that generate leads for inside sales people.

My family sends me text messages. My friends send me gmails. My office calls me on my work cell phone. What in the world would compel me to continue to pay for a conduit into my home for pesky sales calls?

Nothing.

I unhooked the tool that businesses used to market to me. I did not, however, unhook their need to get their product and services in front of my face.

Face?

Yes.

Visited Facebook, lately?

It is where marketing funds have been diverted. Why? Because we hang out there a lot.

In April 2011 BlogHer reported that 93% of adult US Internet users are on Facebook. And where the people gather the marketers will follow.

Does it work as a marketing tool? According to Hubspot, yes.

67% of B2C and 41% of B2B companies that use Facebook for marketing have acquired a customer through this channel. (source: HubSpot State of Inbound Marketing Report 2011)

It makes me wonder, though. How much are we going to enjoy social media when it becomes the next used car lot of unsavvy marketers?

You might also enjoy: